Re-installing the Rear End!

Getting the differential back in the car was no small task. It weighs about 200 pounds and is almost impossible to lift while under the car! I used a dolly with wood blocks, to get it to the correct level, and then rolled it into place. Before I installed all the parts I sand blasted them, replaced all the seals etc. I didn't replace the rear bearings, since they seemed OK. The rear drive gears also didn't have any slop, so I avoided the rebuild. I guess it takes more than 83k miles to wear out the rear end on a Caddy.
Here you can see the new rear shocks. I used gas filled replacements, since they look stock, but are a bit stiffer, and hold up better over the years. When I got the car it had Air shocks, Which I found to be horrible. They leak down every few days. I had to air up the back every time I drove the car.
Here I'm installing the rear brakes. I replaced the wheel cylinders, as well as all the rubber brake lines. This all went pretty smoothly, once I got the old brake lines off. They were rusted in place. Liquid Wrench, and a butane torch did the trick!
Now I've got the drums on. I did my best guess on adjusting the rear brakes, without having fluid in the system. I plan to use Synthetic fluid to avoid brake line rust. I've been told that it wears out the parts quicker, but I don't think that will be a problem on a Sunday driver!
I stripped the rims with, a wire wheel, paint remover, and navel jelly, and painted them the original color. I bought the car with new tires which were the correct width white wall Firestones.
Ready to Roll, and looking like new. I just need to get it off the jack stands now.
Back on the ground and ready for the Engine!

Back from the Engine Shop!

Author: Bill McKenna