Three Rochester Carburetors!
Here is a close up of one of the three Rochester 2 GC carbs. They have
never been rebuilt as far as I know, and had a huge pile of lead buildup in the
bottom of the bowl when pulled apart. I pulled off all the linkages shortly after
this shot was taken.
All three Carbs are shown in this picture. Notice the vacuum bellow on
the center right. This is connecting to a switch which is activated by a tang
on the throttle linkage. When the switch opens, the vacuum is admitted into the
bellow and it pulls the throttle linkage for the front and rear carb. This happens
at about 70% throttle. It really gives you that extra punch in the passing lane.
After I pulled the carbs off, I took pictures of all the linkages
etc. before I tore them down for rebuild. Rochester 2G (front and rear) and
2GC center carbs are very simple to work on. I soaked all the parts in Chemtool,
and bead blasted all the hard parts. I avoided blasting the jets and other
parts where perfect clearances are important. Next I washed everything several
times, and blew air in the jets to get any beads out. Then I clear coated
the bodies, and added the rebuild kits. After each unit was rebuilt, I followed
the adjustment instructions with the kit and in the shop manual to complete
Here is a carb body just after soaking, but before bead blasting.
Not very pretty. I recommend using layers of old Newspaper on the workbenches,
for several reasons. First, the Dirt and grease buildup over months of car
work will make your workbench totally disgusting, Second, Newspapers are
light in color and help keep parts from disappearing in the mess.
I took lots of pictures of the cables and hoses, so I would know how
to put everything back. Notice the incorrect Master cylinder. It should be
a smaller Delco Moraine.
After the carbs and intake manifold came off, I scraped about five
pounds of sludge off the valley cover, Chemtool was my friend here. This
shot was after cleanup but still it wasn't nice to look at. When I pulled
the intake manifold off I discovered one of the reasons the car was running
so poorly. The intake gasket had blown around the exhaust riser. This condition
made the engine sound like a hotrod even with normal exhaust.
Off with the heads!!
Author: Bill McKenna